Halong Bay Travel Guide, Getting Around
Halong City, formerly the Hon Gai Town, is the cultural, economic and political centre of Quang Ninh Province. It borders Cam Pha to the east, the Yen Hung District to the west, the Hoanh Bo District to the north and Halong Bay to the south with the coastline of 20km. The city is divided into two parts: East Halong and West Halong.
The eastern part is an industrial zone where most of the province’s official buildings are also concentrated. The western part, also called Bai Chay, is the animated tourism zone. Halong’s population are most having emigrated from other places to settle here.
Facts about in Halong Bay
• Halong Bay was first listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1994
• Humans may have inhabited the area in Halong Bay 6,000 to 18,000 years ago as the Archeologists have found.
• Most of the islets and islands in Halong Bay are limestone.
• Halong Bay is 1,553 square kilometers in size, and extends 120km along the coastline.
• Many of the islands in Halong Bay have beaches, caves and grottos.
• The name Ha Long means “Descending Dragon”, is derived from the Sino-Vietnamese (The Chinese-derived elements in the Vietnamese language).
• There are 200 different species of fish and 450 different mollusks in Halong Bay.
• There are around 1,600 limestone islands and islets in Halong Bay.
Attractions in Halong Bay, Best Things to Do
Halong Bay is famous internationally, and is recognized as a World Heritage by UNESCO for its thousands of natural islands. Also in the city, there are temples, pagodas and historical relics.In addition to the most active branch of tourism, there are other economic activities such as: trade, seaport, coal, marine products and the production of construction materials.
Movies that were filmed in Halong Bay: James Bond Tomorrow Never Dies 1997, Indochine 1992, The Vertical Ray Of The Sun 2000, Pan 2015, Life 2017, Kong: Skull Island 2017
Halong Bay Restaurants & Places to Eat
Hotels in Halong Bay
Halong Bay Tours, Activities & Vacation Packages
Discover hidden gems in Halong Bay, visit the most amazing places, ideal options for visitors looking to explore colonial buildings, historical monuments, war memorials and religious sites …